Saturday, May 03, 2008

Shameless Cap-In-Hand Charity Appeal

Ladies and gentlemen, what follows is an appeal to your hearts, your emotions, your purses and your wallets.

On July 13th 2008, yours truly, Chris O, will be doing something beyond the realms of human physical strength, mental capability and emotional limitation.

Yes folks, I will be getting up off my backside.

When I've done that, I'm going to put on my trainers, pull on a loose-fitting t-shirt and run for five kilometres. Nothing below the waist - just my trainers and a loose-fitting t-shirt.

For me, a five kilometre run will be behaviour of the most ridiculous order, but I'll be doing it with good reason. I'll be trying to raise money for The Bobby Moore Fund, a charity that, through Cancer Research UK, is carrying out research into the treatment of bowel cancer - the disease which claimed the life of the legendary former West Ham and England football captain.

I've never done a charity run like this before, but after seeing my wife do something very similar last year I was inspired to give it a try. So here I am feeling decidedly out of condition after a far-too-long period without regular exercise knowing that what I now need is a decent amount of some regular exercise.

But that, my friends, is exactly what I shall do for I will not be made to look a fool by collapsing over the finishing line in an accute state of hyperventilation on July 13th. I know that my body must be a picture of health and vitality, and to that end I have already begun going out on training runs around my local park.

Now at this stage you may be asking why I'm telling you all this. It's not for the sympathy, oh no. I'm aware I'll get none of that... No, I'm telling you about my efforts because I'm trying to shame you all into feeling unworthy - a disposition which can only be offset by sponsoring me some money in order to go away and pester someone else.

And that I promise I will do, but first I need your money, if you can spare any. By clicking on the link below, you'll be swiftly taken to my fundraising page elsewhere on the web where you can donate any amount of money you choose. In so doing, you'll be doing a tremendous amount to help raise funds for a cause that aims merely to eradicate a disease that kills many thousands of people every year.

It needs the help of all of us to ensure their research and hard work continues until the job is done, so please give whatever you can by sponsoring me on my Race For Moore this July. Your donation will be appreciated more than you'll ever know, and you can rest easy in the knowledge that you'll not only help save lives but also stop me from boring you about my ongoing training schedules.

Thank you. :)

Donate here:
http://www.runformooresponsorme.org/chrisoakley

2 comments:

Chris Paul said...

Curbishley is a brilliantly average manager, if such a thing were possible. But before he is heavily criticised I would like to remind everyone what happened at Charlton once he left. His competency is only matched by his realism.

While West Ham can certainly be cup contenders, injuries, especially to on form players, have held them back. So while they are capable of better seasons, with a touch more luck, and a touch more motivation, they've done well.

If there have been no cups, or near cups, and the team are still in this position in a season or so, then talk about failed ambitions. In the meantime get in a couple more players, hope to avoid injuries,and a UEFA cup spot, or the FA cup, could be yours.

That west ham entertain ambition is a good thing, and not beyond them. Their season could be described as a team of good players, with a good mananger, not quite achieving what they can but doing well anyway.

thus dims the paradox...

Chris O said...

Hi chris c paul... First of all, let me say I think you've left your comment on the wrong post, but fear not - I'll give you a response right here instead!

I certainly agree with you that West Ham now need to get in a few new players during the summer. I'd also say that Curbishley's earnt the right to continue in charge for next season.

Long-term we may need to find a boss with a stronger track record for success, but for the time being he's capable of helping the club consolidate its current position.

We Love SPAOTP!

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP